Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Introduction to Rereading America:

What does it mean to you to be an American Citizen?

The introduction to the text, Rereading America, challenges us to look beyond the common misconceptions of the "myth" of the American dream and to think critically. As far as what i think it means to be an American citizen, there are many things to consider. I believe that to be an American can imply freedom, security, and prosperity to some. To others however, it can mean a struggle to make ends-meet while "The Man" lives in comfort. The ideal American dream, no matter your interpretation of the idea, seems simply out of reach for most.

My idea what it means to be American is that if you are willing to do the work, you can become a success in whatever dreams you seek. While it is not a full proof plan for immediate success, I have personally experienced the value of a hard days work. Maybe the American dream is not all it is cracked up to be. For me being an American citizen is hard work. America is not where you live, it is how you live. Proud to be an American, consider that these words are more than words. Open your mind and ask yourself, "What, if anything, makes me proud to be an American?".

How might this text challenge or complicate your opinions?

While I hate to admit it sometimes, I am only human. As with all human beings, one thing that stands in my way is the tendency to search for conformation of my existing beliefs. I do, however, enjoy the very nature of exploring new ideas and ways of thinking. While I may not agree with every opinion that challenges my beliefs, I will always try to take the time to ponder such ideas from another point of view. I hope that this text will challenge many of the beliefs that I currently maintain.

2 comments:

  1. excellent perspective! I belive as well in the same thing Proud to be an American. You do have your choice thou wether or not make something of your self or just make ends meet after all that is why we are all here in this class so that we may be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice the know that there are so many others who feel the same way I do. I belive my view on America changed when my brother in law was fighting in Iraq. Freedom has a new meaning.

    ReplyDelete